Common Menu

Common Menu skip

Message from the President

Hearing/Language-Impaired Education Course


Professors and Lecturers in Charge

Professor: FUJISHIMA Shota (Psychology of Hearing/Language-Impaired, Practical Research on Signal Activities in Language-Impaired Cases)

Professor: SUGAI Hiroyuki (Hearing/Language-Impaired Studies, Communication Disorder Studies, Blind-Deaf Education)

Associate Professor: MATSUZAKI Jo (Hearing/Language-Impaired Children Pedagogy, Sign Language Linguistics, Educational Support for Higher Education for Hearing-Impaired Students)

Course Description

The origin of this course goes back to 1972, when it was established as Language-Impaired Children Education Teacher Training Track. One has to note that Sendai has a strong tradition in Language-Impaired Education, it had the first Special Class for Language-Impaired Children, it was established in Torimachi Elementary School in Sendai in 1958. The Hearing/Language-Impaired Education Course of MUE is expected to play an important role, as it is the only course in the Tohoku/Hokkaido Area where the Teacher's License for Special Needs Education ('Education Concerning Hearing-Impaired') is available.
Our goal is to nurture teachers who work broadly in the field of Special Needs Education, especially those who are specialized in Hearing-Impaired Education, working in Special Needs Schools and Special Needs Classes. With issues of language and communication as the central themes, Hearing/Language-Impaired Education organizes a curriculum that can deal with the current situation in which there are many disorders, concerning a wide variety of issues such as the deaf/hearing difficulties, disfluency, articulation disorders, delays in language development,aphasia, orthopedically-impaired, autism, hypophrenia, blind-deaf and communication disorders from severe or multiple disorders.
It is also a characteristic of our university to promote an environment of friendship from first year undergraduate to postgraduate students, coming together for such occasions as orientations, welcome parties, graduation thesis presentations, final presentations and farewell parties. Some of the teaching staff and students are hearing-impaired and communication with them allows other students to develop a deeper understanding of these issues.


There are about 15 students per class. In their first year, students prepare for studies of specialized areas in the following year, through courses such as 'Practical Training for Hearing/Language-Impaired Education' and 'Introduction to Special Needs Education'. In the second year, they start taking courses in specific areas of Special Needs Education, with Hearing/Language Disorder as the central concern. They are expected to study their specialized areas in order to be able to teach at Special Needs Schools, along with studies for Teacher's License in elementary schools or junior high schools. In the third year, they are to be engaged in Third Year Practice Teaching in an elementary school or a junior high school. 'Educational Support Training for the Hearing/Language Impaired' constitutes an important subject, for it is also preparation for their graduation theses. Although there are not many classes, their final year will be quite a busy one, with numerous activities such as Fourth Year Practice Teaching, Practice Teaching in a Special Needs School, graduation thesis, Teacher's Employment Tests, Employment Tests for Public Servants, Job Hunting and Preparation for MA (for those who chose to). Therefore it is crucial that students are well prepared to learn from the first year.

Licenses and Certificates

In order to graduate, students have to fulfill requirements for Teacher's License in Elementary School: Category 1 or in Junior High School: Category 1 (in one chosen subject), in addition to Teacher's License in Special Needs Education School: Category 1.

Employment Situation and Career Opportunities

Although many students naturally choose to become teachers, a variety of careers are available, some choose to work at companies or to become staff in various special needs/welfare institutions. There are students who go on to study at college to acquire Speech Therapist or Sign Language Interpreter certificates, along with those who choose to do their Master's.